Time is changing so do we need to change!
Today our new generation is much more sensible than the old days or I would say that they have easy access to connect with the rest of the world which increases their chances to learn faster. What we knew at the age of 10-12, today’s kids already know in the age of 4-5.
In today’s day and age where unfortunately social media has been ranked among the top time wasters, Like many others I still have faith that with proper teach and training we can have a huge positive impact on child’s thinking.
This however starts from home;
From our children, brothers, sisters and even cousins and all those we can be easily influenced. They are our responsibly and we must take a step forward to help them living in a society with pride.
We have to let them feel free and take risks
We have to let them fight on their own and stop acting a super hero and rescue them too quickly
We have to change our behaviour and stop showing our children love and affection all the time, we must not raise them as spoiled children
We must understand that when our kids do something good, appreciate and reward them. At the same time if they do mistakes, discuss openly and explain the consequences they may face later on.
Never fight for your kids if they are wrong instead, make sure that they know it was their mistake and they need to learn from their mistakes.
Most of all as parents, as guardians, as elders it is our responsibility to first practice then preach.
Remember! Kids follow what their elders practice
Few tips to start:
- Talk over the issues you wish you would ‘have known about adulthood.
- Allow them to attempt things that stretch them and even let them fail
- Discuss future consequences if they fail to master certain disciplines
- Aid them in matching their strengths to real-world problems.
- Furnish projects that require patience, so they learn to delay gratifications.
- Teach them that life is about choices and trade-offs; they can’t do everything.
- Initiate (or simulate) adult tasks like paying bills or making business deals (small or big)
- Introduce them to potential mentors from your network.
- Help them envision a fulfilling future, and then discuss the steps to get there.
- Celebrate progress they make toward autonomy and responsibility.
How are you parenting your children is in your hand, I hope you are not sacrificing their long-term growth for short-term comfort J
To summarize remember the famous quote by A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
“My message, especially to young people is to have courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must
work towards. This is my message to the young people.”